Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Justice Department Secretly Obtains AP Phone Records

President & CEO of AP Gary Pruitt, from Yahoo!
Ever hear a headline, instinctively think it's a bad thing, but not really know how to put your hands around it? That's this one, at least so  far, to me. Over all, I think we've lost a lot of privacy since September 11, 2001, and I don't like that. On the other hand, we've willingly given up a lot  of it as a people. And I have to tell you, that with the Patriot Act, the various government entities with massive powers, the glossing over of warrentless wiretaps, and the like, I'm not sure what's legal anymore.

Unlike the Benghazi "scandal" (which I think is pure and simple a scalp hunt), and the IRS/Tea Party thing (which I think is completely justifiable), this one could turn into something. I don't know if it goes all the way to the top, but I can see it shaking up the Justice Department. But I also think it's too early to make snap judgements before we know why it was done, and what Justice's. . .um. . .justification? is.

[Excerpt]

Gov't obtains wide AP phone records in probe

The Justice Department secretly obtained two months of telephone records of reporters and editors for The Associated Press in what the news cooperative's top executive called a "massive and unprecedented intrusion" into how news organizations gather the news. The records obtained by the Justice Department listed outgoing calls for the work and personal phone numbers of individual reporters, for general AP office numbers in New York, Washington and Hartford, Conn., and for the main number for the AP in the House of Representatives press gallery, according to attorneys for the AP. It was not clear if the records also included incoming calls or the duration of the calls. . .

Read more at: Yahoo! News

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...