Thursday, September 27, 2007

Bionic Woman: A Mini Review


Photo from NBC.com

The fall TV season is underway, and it is chock-full of serialized dramas, many of a sci-fi nature. Last season, I picked and chose carefully which shows I was willing to lend my time to. Fully aware of how few new shows make it to a second season--let alone all the way through the first one--I didn't want to over-commit, only to be quickly disappointed.

Even with that strategy, I still got burned (RIP, Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip). This season, I've watched Chuck, Life, Reaper, and now, Bionic Woman. I may sample Reaper again, and I'll definitely be back for the next installment of Bionic Woman.

The first episode was another show that felt like it should have been granted a two-hour premiere (Heroes 2nd-season debut being the other). Too much ground needs to be covered, what with introducing all the characters, setting the origin story, and introducing the premise.

Still, it was enjoyable. It's very much in the same vein as the new Battlestar Galactica, with it's moody vibe, dark camera work, and grim outlook. Small wonder, since apparently some of it's people are present here, notably Katie Sackhoff (BSG's Starbuck) and Aaron Douglas (BSG's Chief). I also felt a Dark Angel undercurrent.

The fight scene between Jaime and Sarah was very cool, and the acting, writing and camera work were top-notch. I like the addition of quick-healing powers for our lead cyborg. That'll help, since she still has that human arm, eye and ear. I do hope they offer Lindsay Wagner a role in the future. Maybe as a Fembot?

My one hope for this show (and the other serialized dramas), is that they don't rely too heavily on show "mythology." If you can't jump in at any episode, or skip a couple without getting lost, the show will be stuck in cult status. My advice is that they hire whoever was responsible for the "previously" bits on Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Those recaps did a fantastic job of filling in the blanks.

I can't say I was blown away. This is essentially just the setup. It was certainly better than the review I reported on earlier this summer. I'll be back next week to see if this show stays on my list.

Official site: NBC.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...