Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Computer Woes: The Big CD Project


My new Mitsubishi Galant has an MP3 CD player, much like my Jeep did. But after much trial and error, I figured out that the Galant's player only plays actual MP3s. So, all of my music that was in WMA (Windows) format would not play. No problem, since I found a program that will do a conversion for me. Unfortunately, it leaves the original file intact, which is causing a huge duplication problem.

Add to this, the fact that I'm undertaking--finally--a CD ripping project. I'm taking our 400-500 disc collection, and ripping them all to the computer. At least I figured out how to do that relatively automatically, and in the MP3 format in the first place. But I already had 5,000+ tunes on the computer, and this is making the duplication problem grow by leaps and bounds.

I've found programs that allegedly will help you find duplicate music files, and delete them. But it is far, far from perfect. Songs with sound-alike titles, or different versions of the same song pop up in the delete list. So, I think I'm going to have to do this deletion project manually. On thousands upon thousands of songs.

My car doesn't have an input for an MP3 player (though one is available for over $200), so I'm sort of stuck with the discs. But once this project is complete, that's really not much of an issue. MP3 CDs hold over 150 songs after all. But I still feel like I'm a step or two behind current technology. But it is a step.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...