Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Featured Site: Shelf Monkey's Review of Left Behind


Photo from source, Wikpedia

There isn't much reason for this particular post at this particular time, other than to show you how my mind works. Today, my friend, co-worker and fill-in editor, Stupid Monkey Planet were talking, as we like to do. I mentioned that the cloud moving over the mountains made me feel like The Langoliers were coming. More accurately, I was probably thinking of a similar story, The Mist. Both are Stephen King short stories with a vaguely similar vibe.

We started talking about The Langoliers, a story about an airline flight where many people suddenly vanish from the plane, leaving various items behind, and those left behind have to figure out what's going on. It's a gripping story, with a suspenseful setup. Then, I wondered aloud if the authors of Left Behind--an apocalyptic Christian story which started in much the same way--stole the initial premise for their enormously profitable and spectacularly badly written series of books and sundry spin offs.

After a little Googling, I stumbled upon this review of Left Behind, also mentioning The Langoliers. Aside from the "Monkey" reference in the blog's name (which was a shoo-in for this blog on that basis alone), the review is hilarious, and spot-on. I wrote my own review some time ago, which was much shorter and not nearly as funny. Shelf Monkey has picked up a fan in me, and I wanted to share. Here is an excerpt from the post that hooked me.

[Excerpt]

Critical Monkey Entry #4 — Left Behind: Ouch! My soul!

In his collection Four Past Midnight, author Stephen King wrote a tight little novella entitled 'The Langoliers.' It concerned itself with a small group of people who had fallen asleep on an aircraft, only to awaken and discover that everyone else on board had mysteriously vanished. . .

The scenario is absurd, but over 200 or so pages, King achieves a surprising amount of gut-clenching suspense over the predicament. His characters are strong, the dialogue is heightened yet believeable, and the plot device (waking up abandoned and alone) is so universal that a suspension of disbelief was easily achieved.

. . .Flash-forward five years, when Tim LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins (hereafter L&J) release the first volume of their Rapture epic Left Behind. Like 'The Langoliers,' it begins on an airplane where a segment of the passengers have mysteriously vanished. However, rather unlike King's pulpy good time, L&J take an astounding, brain-shattering event and treat the disappearance of passengers with all the astonishment of passengers not wanting a second helping of peanuts. That is to say, there is zero tension in the narrative from the get-go. And it does not get better. . .

Read more at: Shelf Monkey


3 comments:

  1. Hey, glad you liked it. Although I have to say, the movie version (which I finally, in a sudden urge to punish myself, rented from the local library) is almost worst. It's one thing to comment that the characters give the term "one-dimensional" a bad name. It's quite another to realize that Kirk Cameron and Chelsea Noble have somehow cracked the thespian matrix and turned in performances of negative dimensional value. Before I watched it, I would have said that the idea of a negative-two dimensional performance was theoretically impossible. Well, far be it from me to deny a miracle; they did it, they broke through the fourth wall, molested my brain, and created a whole new subset of theoretical physics. Good for you, Camerons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best selling author of the Left Behind book series, Tim LaHaye, has a new book that is being released today, April 20, 2010.

    The book is called, Edge of Apocalypse. You may go to the official book web site and view a video trailer. You may also download and read the first chapter of the book from the site.
    http://www.TheEndSeries.com.

    If you are interested in reviewing the book, please respond to this post and a copy will be mailed to you. Please include your mailing address.

    Thank you!

    Edge of Apocalypse Launch Team

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're sending me a book to review? Well, OK, but you read my original, right? Sure, I'll do it.

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...