Friday, October 3, 2008

Blogiversary: 16 Months! 3,560 Posts!


My "blogiversary" was actually yesterday, but I got so wound up in politics and the big VP debate, I forgot all about it. I suppose it doesn't matter, since these posts are more of a self-congratulatory "look at me" kind of thing. But I'm continually surprised by the fact that I'm still here, plugging away on the blog.

I've known several people who have started their own blogs, only to have them fade away quickly. I totally get that. Life intrudes. In fact, when life intrudes on this blog, I actually feel guilty for not getting anything posted. Silly, I know.

And I feel a little guilty that this blog has wandered away somewhat from my early goals. My aim--besides voicing my frustrations here rather than in my head--was to dig up the news behind the news, and to also have a healthy amount of fun, frivolous stuff. Not much frivolity here lately, though I did work in a Sarah Silverman post, and some other funny stuff. But most of that has still been political, and mostly about the upcoming election.

I'm not alone though. Of the many other blogs I read, most have gone all-Presidential-politics-all-the-time too. Maybe in November, I'll be able to take the blog in a different direction. Of course, if the unthinkable happens, and we have Grampy and Caribou Barbie headed to the White House, it will be hard to be frivolous. In fact, I'm not sure what I will do.

My brother says he's moving--to Canada, or elsewhere, as long as it's out of the United States. I'm not ready to go that far, but I think a McCain win would take the fight out of me. I was bummed when Al Gore lost, but not defeated. I was down further when Kerry lost, but even more determined. It is probably the feeling that the elections were stolen that drove me forward.

But if McCain wins--and there is no obvious vote rigging--I'll feel lost in my own country. After these long, arduous 8 years, continuing in the same vein seems unthinkable. And ridiculous. I've got a strong feeling that this scenario won't play out, but who knows these days? Stay with me over the next 30+ days, and we'll find out together. Go Obama! And as always, bring your friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...