Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Microsoft to Offer Free Security Software


Microsoft has had egg on its face for quite a while with Windows Vista, and Apple has been happy to rub it in. I myself haven't had any problem with Vista, but I only have it on my notebook computer, which I don't use very often, so I'm not a good gauge.

Still, almost everybody uses Windows anyway, in one form or another. And most of us are stuck with several different security programs, some that cost money, others that are free. And almost all of them bog you down when they are running. So the idea of a free, Microsoft-branded security program that isn't a memory hog is fantastic, as far as I'm concerned.

Microsoft has had to fight many lawsuits over the programs it includes in Windows, but I've rolled my eyes at most of them. Apple doesn't get busted for including the kitchen sink in their operating software, so why should Microsoft? Security software is a natural inclusion. And if I may make a suggestion, a Print2Email type feature would be a natural too.

[Excerpt]

Microsoft Plans Free Software To Shield PCs

The Redmond, Wash., company said it plans to introduce its security software, code-named Morro, during the second half of next year in an effort to persuade more users to secure their PCs against spyware, viruses and other forms of "malware." Use of antimalware software is far from universal, especially in emerging markets. . .

Read more at: Wall Street Journal


No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...