Wednesday, July 14, 2010

F Word Now Cool on TV?

It is often said that we're somewhat puritanical in the United States, and I think it's pretty much true. While television is no longer trying to push a Leave it to Beaver-type illusion of America, there are still things you just cannot say or do on tv. Which is kind of silly, when you consider that it is a rare US citizen who hasn't been exposed to profanity or nudity. . .and participated in large part.  So why can't a person react and speak in a realistic way on the teevee?  I get it in the early evening. I even understand it on broadcast television in most venues.  But in the evening, overnight, and especially on cable, I just don't get the uptight rules.

It's especially weird on expanded cable channels like Logo, when you hear "God" bleeped when put together with "damn." I mean what the f**k? Ok, what the fuck?  Now I'm not saying that Whoopi Goldberg should bring her standup vocabulary daily to The View, or that Lisa Lampanelli be given an unexpergated prime-time slot on Nickelodeon. But when it is organic to the situation, I think profanity and even some limited nudity should be just fine, within reason. I just wish George Carlin were alive to see it.

[Excerpt]

FCC Swear Word Censorship Policy Tossed By Federal Court

A federal appeals court on Tuesday struck down a government policy that can lead to broadcasters being fined for allowing even a single curse word on live television, saying it is unconstitutionally vague and threatens speech "at the heart of the First Amendment. . ."

Read more at: Huffington Post

2 comments:

  1. Barney in 5 years: I f--- you, you f--- me, now we're one fu---ng happy family...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! How 'bout F--- me Elmo? Mr. Rogers' F---ing Neighborhood? That's F---ing Raven!

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...