Sunday, July 25, 2010

The Evolution of the Mitsubishi Galant (Fun With PhotoShop)

Last February, I traded in my old 1998 Jeep Wrangler after nine years, for a slightly used 2009 Mitsubishi Galant.  Ever since, almost every time I spy another car like mine, it's an older model.  Something about the original version of my car's current series just strikes me as ugly.

If you know much about cars, you know that every four or six years, if a car is selling well enough, the manufacturer releases an "all new" series with the same name.  Sometimes, the new version resembles the old in some way, and usually it stays in the same size class. Other times, the car changes sizes, appearance, and might even change from a compact to a mid-size. But there's another way to change a car, without going "all new." Usually, in the lifespan of any series, the car will get a "refresh" or a "face-lift."  This usually involves changing headlamps, taillights, bumpers, and even sometimes fenders, trunks and hoods.  While essentially the same car, these new additions can drastically change the appearance of the car.

This is the case with the Mitsubishi Galant.  In 2003--as a 2004 model year--an all new Galant was introduced, moving the car from compact to mid-size.  At the time, Mitsubishi was trying to go for a "family brand"-look, putting a schnoz in the middle of the grille.  I don't think I'm alone in thinking it was a design mistake.  Take a look:


This car looks best in red, so this is the prettiest glamor shot of it I could find.  In other colors, it looks drab and kinda ugly.  Somebody at Mitsubishi must've thought so too, because in 2007, they kept the same car, but gave it a face lift.  Gone is the nose, but remnants of it remained.  The hood still had style lines that pointed to where the nose should be, and the new replacement grille still had a bulge:


Not really much of an improvement, but better for sure.  Somebody must've thought they weren't quite there yet, but there must've been enough life left in the Galant for them to try again. In 2009, they changed the hood, the grille, and the bumper.  All remnants of the schnoz are gone, though--curiously--they never changed the headlamps:


Also in 2009, they changed the whole back end, replacing pretty much everything, even making the back window larger. Here's a shot I've shown before of  my car next to an original series car:


And for comparison, here are both from the front:



While I'm really loving my car, and think it looks pretty great (even better now, with tinted windows), I still think that Mitsubishi missed a golden opportunity here.  And now that the car has gone through seven model years, there will of course not be a chance.  Mitsubishi has ceased production of the Galant, ending with the 2010 year (UPDATE 06/03/12: As of this date, they are still making Galants, with the same platform. Everything is the same, except for a silver mesh grille, and some chrome trim on the side window sills. They keep threatening to kill the Galant, but it is still--nine model years along--being produced).  It isn't surprising either. It landed on the "worst sellers" list for the last couple of years, probably due to almost nonexistent promotion. When is the last time you saw a Galant commercial?

But what Mitsubishi does sell is Outlanders. And Lancers. The sporty Lancer Evolution is a runaway hit.  It didn't hurt that they came up with a new "family look" for their other cars, featuring an aggressive grille that kinda resembles an old-school Cylon, from the original Battlestar Galactica.  I couldn't help thinking, what would my Galant look like if they'd gotten ballsy, and grafted the new look on to the last round of Galants?  Well, I'm a graphic artist, so I thought I'd find out.  Now, don't be too critical. I spent about seven minutes on this. But I'm telling you, I'd so buy this car!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...