A day late on my Blast from the Past feature, but given the holiday, I doubt anybody noticed. Here's a batch of one-hit wonders from the 1980s, some you will remember fondly, some you may have forgotten about.
1. "Cars" by Gary Neuman - Huge hit, but doesn't hold up well today, does it?
2. "Tainted Love/Where Did Our Love Go?" by Soft Cell - This one was huge, and still gets plenty of play today.
3. "Can't Shake Loose" by Agnetha Fältskog - ABBA's pretty blonde had one minor hit as a solo act, and speaking of ABBA. . .
4. "I Know There's Something Going On" by Frida - The other woman in ABBA had a monster hit with this one. And she managed to find a hairstyle that wasn't (as) tragic as usual.
5. "99 Red Balloons" by Nena - This was a monster hit, and was often mixed or played alternately with the German version, "99 Luftballons."
6. "Cry" by Godley & Creme- This (at the time) innovative video paved the way for Michael Jackson's "Black or White."
7. "Love Changes Everything" by Climie Fisher - Though I can't find the official video in an embeddable format, this is one of my favorites, so here it is.
8. "Tarzan Boy" by Baltimora - This one was great before it was turned into a Listerene commercial.