Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Let me Tell You 'Bout the Birds and the Bees (and the Fish): They're Dying!

Image from source, Examiner
I recently posted a piece on the weird mass die-in of the crows in Arkansas. Was that a murder of crows? Heh. But see, that's the weird thing. Well, one of the weird things. This dead bird story was followed by dead fish stories, more dead bird stories, and the almost unanimous response--even by me--is humor. Dark, gallows humor. Slightly uncomfortable humor. But still. I'm a little surprised that we all find this so funny.  I mean, if this was an M. Night Shyamalan movie. . .well, it would suck. . .but the dying animals scenes would be played for suspense, to shock, to horrify. Perhaps a sequel to The Happening.  The Crappening? I like it.

But the point is, this mass death thing could be a very bad thing, right? The canary in a coal mine on a larger scale?  And what about the mass bee deaths of the last few years, did we ever figure that shit out?  I don't know. But if the wind starts chasing me, I think I'll just let it catch me.

[Excerpt]

Dead birds in Louisiana; dead fish in Maryland, Brazil and New Zealand



After reports over the weekend of thousands of dead birds falling from the sky in Arkansas and around 100,000 dead fish washing up on the shores of the Arkansas River, more mysteries abound with hundreds of birds dying in Louisiana, dead fish in Maryland, dead sardines on Brazil’s beaches, and hundreds of snapper floating in New Zealand waters. . .

Read more at: Examiner

1 comment:

  1. The lab in my hometown says the birds probably died from fireworks-related trauma:
    http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/environment/article_7596dffe-1929-11e0-bcfc-001cc4c03286.html

    The fish deaths are unrelated, but on NPR, an Arkansas official said only one species in that section of the river was affected, so it was probably a disease of some kind. They're still studying it.

    The bee deaths (called Colony Collapse Syndrome) have been widely studied. One recent study points to a combination of a virus and a parasite, if I remember correctly. Hopefully they can find a treatment/preventative now.

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...