Friday, June 15, 2007

Behind the Blogger, Part Four: The Politics Thing

This is the fourth part of my "Behind the Blogger" posts, and if you've read the others, you've seen that I'm at least doubly unlikely to fall in with the Republican or Conservative side of politics. That wasn't always the case. I was raised in an ostensibly Republican household. We even had a plush, star-spangled elephant hanging in our rec room for my entire childhood. He had a Nixon ribbon, and a "Nixon's the One!" button, but he outlasted Jimmy Carter down in our basement!

I think pretty much all of the adults in our smallish family were professed Republicans. Just the same, I don't recall very many specific issues being discussed. In fact, even Viet Nam was glossed over (though being a little kid, it may have been I that I was more interested in the Six Million Dollar Man or something). Yet, it was well known that we were GOP, right down the line, forever and always. I just wasn't all that clear on why. So, naturally, when I reached voting age, I marched right down and registered as a Republican. It was 1984, and I of course cast my ballot for Ronald Reagan. In 1988, I had no problem casting my vote for the first go around with George H.W. So far, so good. Then something funny happened on the way to the 1992 elections. . .

Now, remember the time. The 1991 Gulf War was a huge success. People wore Operation Desert Storm t-shirts, and desert camouflage pants were all the rage. H.W.'s ratings were sky high. No one could beat the guy. Until the Republican National Convention of 1992--It's Pat! Pat Buchanan was allowed a prime spot to speak, and went batshit on "teh gays." Absolutely, over-the-top, out of his head batshit. He wasn't the only one, but he was the one I remembered clearly. The tone of the whole event was just nasty. Add to this the tendency of our then Commander in Chief dropping by The 700 Club to chat breezily with "crazy Uncle Chuckles," Pat Robertson. Here's the math: The Religion Thing + The Gay Thing = Ain't no way I'm voting for this guy again. Particularly since there was absolutely no effort made by Bush Sr. to distance himself from any of the nastiness spewed by the Pats.

Clearly, I was not the only one who felt this way. Bill Clinton came out of nowhere, and H.W. was toast. I became a "Republicrat." I'd had my family's politics internalized, and for them "Democrat" was a slur. So I stayed registered as a Republican, but voted Democrat with the belief that I'd revert if they stopped the homophobia, religious fervor, and general mean spiritedness. To date, that hasn't happened.

From 1992 onward, I began to pay a little more attention to what was going on in the nation a little more closely. I read a lot more, learned a bit about how government works, and just generally got more engaged. I came to realize that my political identity had been rather hollow. I was like a Christmas & Easter Christian who doesn't know much at all about the religion, but professes it anyway (hell, I was one of those too, growing up!). There is much more that could be said here. My journey, after all, took me through two Clinton administrations, from Don't Ask, Don't Tell to the blue dress. Nevada's Constitutional amendment against same-sex marriage. Arguments with the family. The ensuing madness of two W. administrations. I think delving deeper into all that can wait for a while. For at least the next few posts, I'd like to get back to current events for a while.

Oh, one last thing. I registered as a Democrat for the first time last year.

3 comments:

  1. Moving away from Ohio has really opened my eyes to a number of issues including the downfall of the GOP. Although I still have very conservative views on spending, I do not foster the same belief of entwining religion and government. Although this country may have been founded on Judeo-Christian values, the framers of the Constitution wanted to ensure the new government did promote or endorse a specific religion and went as far as drafting language to prohibit it. The massess are easily confused and begin to muddle social mores with religious moral values and believe the way to save the USA is by endorsing conservative "Christian" (and I use that term very very loosely) candidates with an eye on family values. I personally believe our society is eroding but not because of two men or women falling in love and wanting to be married. Big business, interest rates, inflation, etc. are leading to our downfall. Parents are not available for their children because they are both forced to hold down a job in order to survive in today's economy. Parents expect the school system to both educate and parent their kids because the parents do not have the time. On the other side, I live in a party of Dallas I lovingly refer to as "Little Guadalejara" or the Hispanic Hood. At times I feel like my drive home is to a 3rd world when I see the filth, destruction and unkempt homes and people. These are the same ones who suck the money out of our government by expecting it to pay for their every need and are all to happy to bring suit against the government should their drug dealing 19 year old thug son wind up dead in a shoot out with the police. Is there an answer, I do not know. I often sit on the sidelines and watch things happen, because I believe that pointing out the obvious problem with a solution is a waste of time. However, I'm tired of being a bench warmer and plan to get involved. I remember back to Goldie Hawn's line in the movie "Protocol" where she warns the President that she will be watching every move, like a hawk. On a personal note, thank you Jamie. Your blog is inspiring to me and providing me a venue to get my thoughts out and make me take notice of what is going on around me. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darn it, Blogger ate my comment. Oh well, just wanted to say thanks, and keep pushing me along. Your writing makes me see that that "college thing" may have been worth something. Much more polished than mine.

    My writing style tends to be more "conversation"-y and colloquial. I'd like to keep the "spoken word" feel with a bit more sheen.

    As for your politics, still working on that. The fiscal conservatism I understand, but are there any of those guys actually in office? And the rogues' gallery of candidates up there right now? Yikes. Anyhow, thanks for your support. If you really like the blogging thing, it's super easy to start your own, I'll help if you want.

    Later!

    --Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keith, it seems you got more out of your college english classes than I. I look forward to you reading more of your comments, although I would rather see them as posts. You should be a guest blogger here like me, so you can be the diamond in the rough. Take care and hope you both are doing well. Nevadajoe

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...