Sunday, December 23, 2007

Holiday Cheer: Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer


I have a special affinity for the old 60s Rankin-Bass Christmas special, Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. Why? A couple of reasons, honestly. First is the character of Hermy, the elf that wants to be a dentist. Hermy has an unusual swoop to his hair, one that I share when I let my hair grow long enough. I was called Hermy by numerous people while I was growing up, and it used to irritate me quite a bit.

But as an adult, I kind of identify with Hermy. And that would sort of be the second reason. You see, Hermy (and Rudolph, and the misfit toys) were all somehow seperate from their peers. They might not understand why, they just knew they were different. This kid could relate! I was too young to know why I was different, but smart enough to know that I was. So it is not so unusual that Rudolph resonated with me as a kid (and still does). And who remembers that Santa was depicted as such a dick?

All these years later, people who didn't even know me growing up have sent me Hermy merchandise. They didn't know why, they just knew it was a fit. So we've come full circle! And now, thanks to the fabulous Internet machine, we can watch the whole thing right here! Take a look.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...