Thursday, December 20, 2007

Lakota Native Americans Secede from US


Photo from Mohican Press

Doesn't it seem like this would be bigger news? Russell Means, famous (and infamous) Native American activist has declared that a large chunk of the Midwest/Prairie states are seceding from the United States. I doubt this will be any more successful than previous efforts, big (the Civil War) and small (the Conch Republic). I can see both sides of this one, but I think as a movement, it is doomed. But I wonder what the map would look like?

[Excerpt]

Descendants of Sitting Bull, Crazy Horse break away from US

The Lakota Indians, who gave the world legendary warriors Sitting Bull and Crazy Horse, have withdrawn from treaties with the United States, leaders said Wednesday.

"We are no longer citizens of the United States of America and all those who live in the five-state area that encompasses our country are free to join us," long-time Indian rights activist Russell Means told a handful of reporters and a delegation from the Bolivian embassy, gathered in a church in a run-down neighborhood of Washington for a news conference. . .

Read more at: Raw Story

1 comment:

  1. I am a Native American with very many things to say. I am from Lovelock NV and I need to be heard please contact me at pabee13@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...