Friday, December 11, 2009

America Online Rebranded as "Aol."


The last several days, AOL has been asking me to try out their new "welcome screen" every time I sign on. Waitaminute. . .I still use America Online? Yes, yes I do. For a liberal, I can be strangely attracted to sameness, and while I don't fear change, I am initially resistant to it. And I've developed work and play habits on the computer that are comfortable. So, AOL stays.

It turns out that a lot of people haven't stayed however, and AOL needs to spruce the joint up to try and attract and keep users. So I guess it's out with the triangle/circle logo. Which makes sense, since it grew out of the ollld "A" logo that had sort of an "OL" inside it. It looks like now, the new branding is "Aol period." Which is a little weird. Actually, the very name AOL has always been weird. Shouldn't have been "AO?" And now the "ol" part is lower-cased and punctuated. And used on a variety of backgrounds, it looks like.

Anyway, I always find rebranding efforts interesting. Not sure if this is a win or not, but it does show that AOL has some sort of interest in staying relevant and interesting. Who knew?

[Excerpt]

AOL Unveils New Brand, New Logos

AOL unveiled a "new brand identity" Sunday night. Instead of AOL, it's "Aol." -- period included. There are also six new logos -- from a goldfish to a paint swirl. A spokesperson says more are coming. . . (
Click through to see the logos)

Read more at: The Business Insider

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...