Friday, December 4, 2009

Holiday Cheer? Do They Know it's Christmas?

Another one from the vaults. I'm aware that some people put this song in their "worsts" lists. I disagree, but there is a fair amount of nostalgia in this one for me.

ORIGINAL POST

I'm a child of the 70s and 80s. And one of the "big events" of the 80s was Band Aid, and "Do They Know it's Christmas?" It was a star-studded (by British and MTV standards) effort to spotlight the suffering of African people who were starving. Or something.

Today, the song is simply a perennial, an inclusion into our "All Christmas, All the Time" music stations. Whatever good it might have done at the time is rendered into a classic song that plays along side I Want a Hippopotomous for Christmas, and Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer. Still, it was a chance to hear Boy George (O'Dowd)'s voice meld into George Michael's, Simon Le Bon's, Sting's and Bono's. I still don't know if this song helped starving people. But it is a pop culture touchstone. Enjoy. Or be depressed. Whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...