Saturday, December 19, 2009

What Happens in Vegas: Atheist Billboards Installed, Removed



Image from source, Las Vegas City Life

Thanks to Stupid Monkey Planet for the tip for this story. I'm sort of caught in the middle in modes of thought on this issue. An atheist group decided to erect several billboards proclaiming their beliefs--or rather, lack of beliefs. This shouldn't be a problem in a fair and hypocrisy-free world. But we don't live there.

In my own family, there has been a mini version of this battle. My brother, sister and I are all fairly firmly in the "unbeliever" camp. My sister and I will occasionally foray into confrontation mode, just little stuff. I for instance have a Flying Spaghetti Monster emblem on my Jeep. You know, subtle. My brother goes the balls-out route, loudly declaring his atheism via his license tags, bumper stickers and the like. This outraged our mother, and I'm stuck between, both believing my brother has every right to do this, and that my Mom could be understandably embarrassed by it.

So what is the difference between proclaiming your atheism and others (many, many others) with Jesus fish, "Praise God" and "Jesus is Lord" bumper stickers? There is no difference in our imaginary world. But in the real one, the pro-religious messages are essentially the default. The pro-atheism ones are controversial, confrontational and apparently not very billboard worthy. Still, as a gay man, I understand the urge to stand up and shout, "I'm here!" See, straight is the default too, and anything else--anything--is controversial, confrontational and definitely not billboard worthy.

The irony of course, is that this is Las Vegas. Sin City. Racy billboards are the standard, not the exception. Religion exists here, and ironically owns part of the sin. The religious right was capable of prohibiting same-sex marriage here, by loudly proclaiming the "sanctity of marriage." In a town with drive-thru wedding chapels, quickie weddings, and quickie divorces. My imaginary world makes a lot more sense.

[Excerpt]

A sign from above
ClearChannel exorcises a billboard message that tried to bring some reason to the season

Rich Hermsen is a skeptic, not a Scrooge, so he didn't set out to spoil anybody's Christmas.

In October, the 81-year-old engineering professor agreed to pick up the tab for the Freedom From Religion Foundation's billboard campaign dedicated to promoting atheism. He and the foundation hoped to extend an existing billboard-advertising contract with ClearChannel Outdoor into November. . .

Read more at: Las Vegas City Life




No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...