Monday, January 25, 2010

RNC Sends Out Fake "Census" Again


Image from AppletreeBlog

I live by a rule when it comes to salesmen and sales pitches: if you're trying to trick me, you have nothing I want to buy. This goes for SPAM emails, junk faxes, junk mail, car salesmen with nebulous "fees," religious hucksters and political campaigns and committees. Not only do I think that these kinds of swindles are distasteful, but I've got to wonder, what do they think of me? If I'm tricked by this pitch, and they make their sale, I'm no better than a mark. A rube.

That's not so terrible for a salesman. What do they care if I'm gullible? Hey, they made a sale. But for a politician or group of them, if they're looking at me like a sap, they're going to govern like I'm a sap. I already know that people like Sean Hannity and Rush Limbaugh must have contempt for their audiences with the load of bull they're selling. But the actual, official politicians? They're trying to build a reliable constituency. That's why undelivered campaign promises tend to turn some voters away from a party. What happens if it's worse than that, and they actually set out to sucker people?

The GOP/RNC have sent me many pieces of campaign literature, since I was until a few years ago a registered Republican. They essentially lost me in 1992, but I didn't make it official until 2006. So I get their sales pitches. And more than one of their mailers has been a "push poll," designed to look like something more official. I've reported several of them here. But at a time when an actual census is being mailed out, and when Americans are required by law to respond to them, a fake "census" is particularly egregious. The truth is clear: The RNC and GOP have no respect for their constituents.

[Excerpt]

Maloney, Clay, McHenry criticize RNC 'census' mailer

Officials of both parties are sharply criticizing a fundraising mailing from Republican National Committee Chairman Michael Steele they say could be confused with official correspondence regarding this year’s Census.

The fundraising letter comes in the form of a “survey,” a frequently used device for partisan fundraising, but this one has a twist: calling itself the “Congressional District Census,” the letter comes in an envelope starkly printed with the words, “DO NOT DESTROY OFFICIAL DOCUMENT” and describes itself, on the outside of the envelope, as a “census document. . .”

Read more at: Politico


No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...