Friday, October 3, 2008

About Sarah Palin's Annoying Performance, Also




I'm going to try to make this my last "Sarah Palin" post for the weekend, unless some really interesting stuff comes up, or it equally features Joe Biden and the debate. But I wanted to expound upon my problems with Sarah Palin and her performance on Thursday night.

Let me start by saying that while I've had an almost infinite list of problems with George W. Bush, the ones that stick in my craw on a daily basis are the grating, annoying things that people might call "nit picking." Doesn't matter, it's the icing on the cake, and what do you see first when you look at a cake? And if you need a primer on the type of things I'm talking about, here are just a few:

- Inappropriate smirks and chuckles
- Colloquial Texas-English (Texish?) in any and all occasions, appropriate or not
- Mangling syntax
- Pronouncing "Nuclear" as "Nucular"
- Repeating untrue, disproven things over and over as though they've never been disproven

Sarah Palin's list may be different, but annoys me with almost the same intensity. We've only known her for about a month, so her mannerisms and speech patterns are still being discovered or realized. Here are a few I picked up last night:

- Annoying gestures and winks
- Pronouncing "Nuclear" as "Nucular"
- Smiling while delivering an attack (makes me want to poke her in the eye)
- Colloquial Alaska-English (Alaskish?) in a venue where she should at least be "code-switching"
- Repetitive phrases, shoe-horned into answers, regardless of appropriateness, such as:
* Rears its head
* The American People
* This land of ours
* All this time
* Up in Alaska
* Fighting for our freedoms
* Other filler language, like the word "also," which she used around 48 times in the debate.
- Combining all of these things to sound as though she's answering a question, when in reality, she's spewing forth 90 seconds of word salad.

Palin's fans find these things endearing and heartwarming. "Why, she's just like us, don'tcha know?" They feel (or once felt) the same way about Bush. Sorry, no. This sort of person repels me. I want a President and Vice President who appear to be exceptional. I want them to be smarter than me, and I want them to behave in public as though they are educated. I do not want them to be "just like me," and I don't want a Sarah Palin or a George W. Bush who are clearly, clearly NOT any of those things.

I was happy to find that I'm not the only one paying attention. The polls seem to be on Biden's side, and will only concede that Palin did better than she's been doing. Of course, she would have had to come out with her dress on backwards to do worse than this past week. And the things I've mentioned in this post haven't gone unnoticed either.

[Excerpt]

Sarah Palin Debate: Out of Body, Out of Nowhere

I am hard-pressed to recall any politian who so assaulted my senses. For me, it was a problem of body language and nervous ticks. Now, I'm no expert on body language, but here's a recap of my Sarah Palin experience during the debate. . .

Warning, I'm about to pick a bunch of nits here. If you love Sarah Palin, reading this will tick you the heck off, doggnit. . .


Read more at: South Side Star

And, also, another great article about it here. . .also: DailyKos

One more! Remember the conservative writer, Kathleen Parker, who thought Palin should be replaced? Her review is also in.

(Hint) She was not impressed: Washington Post

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...