Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Proposition 8 in California: Too Close To Call? Won


UPDATE: Well, the thing passed 52% - 48%. I'm pissed off. But I'm at work, so more later. I understand there are at least two lawsuits to prevent implementation of this proposition, on the grounds that it is unconstitutional. Good.

UPDATE: It would seem that Proposition 8 has passed, though it is not certain as of this writing. The fate of existing same-sex marriages in California are still up in the air, with no definitive status. If they are revoked, I maintain my interest in an effort to get every same-sex married couple's money back from the state and municipalities of California.

ORIGINAL POST:

As of this writing, the decision on "Proposition 8" in California is still too close to call, though it is trending toward a win. That is a sour note in an otherwise very positive night for this liberal blogger.

In June of this year, The Other Half and I were married in Palm Springs, California. And though that was a lovely celebration, and will symbolically live forever in our past, the retroactive deletion of our marriage by mob rule will be a big black asterisk for us, should it come to pass.

I have two ideas for Proposition 8, depending upon which way it ultimately falls. If it passes, I intend to lead a charge to get every same-sex couple's money back, for our marriage licenses and marriage ceremonies. If Proposition 8 fails, I intend to join the effort to remove organized religion's (in this case, read: Mormons') ability to affect public policy.

Join me, won't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...