Sunday, March 23, 2008

Barry to Barack; Why Obama Changed His Name


Photo from source, Newsweek

I haven't read all of this article yet, but what I have read has been very interesting. Barack Obama seems to sometimes be more a movement than a person. So, it's nice to read a little about the person.

Now, the subject chosen for this article may be a little overblown. Lots of people change their names around in school. When I started Kindergarten, I changed to my middle name, Lee. Though my first name is James, my nickname has always been Jamie. And in 1971, there were suddenly dozens of little girls named Jamie (or, strangely, Jaime). So Lee it was. But it was never a good fit. Mom still called me Jamie. And James--while a perfectly good business name--didn't feel right either. So in Junior High, I reverted to Jamie. Surprisingly, I was joined by two others--a Dee that became a Joan and a Jeanie that became a Dee. So what's in a name?

[Excerpt]

When Barry Became Barack

It didn't happen overnight. But in college, the young Barry took to being called by his formal name. What this evolution tells us about him. . .

Read more at: Newsweek

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...