Monday, March 31, 2008

Science is Cool: New Stonehenge Excavation


UPDATE 04/28/08: This post is attracting an awful lot of hits. Can somebody give me a hint as to why? Is it just the Google link to the image? Thanks!
I've had the opportunity to visit most of the United States, but have only ventured out of the country on a few occasions. Like most people, I've been to Canada and Mexico, and also took a cruise to several Caribbean islands. The only other country I've traveled to was England, and it was easily my favorite trip.

Virtually all of my ancestry is English, or other parts of the United Kingdom. England had a strong sense of "home" to me. It might make a nice alternative to the USA should we be saddled with another Republican administration. But that's not the point of this post.

While in England, I had the chance to visit Stonehenge. As the child of archaeologists, it was a "must see" for me, and I'll never forget the experience. It's just so weird that it's just sitting there by the highway, mostly undisturbed for all of these years. But there is much we don't know about the structure, so archaeologists are once again going to do a little digging.

[Excerpt]

Archaeologists start Stonehenge dig

Some of England's most sacred soil was disturbed Monday for the first time in more than four decades as archaeologists worked to solve the enduring riddle of Stonehenge: When and why was the prehistoric monument built?

The excavation project, set to last until April 11, is designed to unearth materials that can be used to establish a firm date for when the first mysterious set of bluestones was put in place at Stonehenge, one of Britain's best known and least understood landmarks. . .

Read more at: Raw Story

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...