Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Computer Woes: Envision Monitor Returned


A couple of weeks ago, I wrote a post about the failure of my new wide screen monitor. It's an Envision G22LWk 22" monitor, and when it worked, it was glorious. Tons of screen real estate made blogging and web surfing in general a much more pleasant experience. But it pooped out after only two months.

I managed to figure out how to get it fixed, and only had to pay $15 to ship the monitor to California. It arrived back on my step while I was away in Iowa, and the friends who were watching my house brought it in for me (thanks you two!). The good news: The monitor works. The bad news: It doesn't work properly with my computer any more.

For some reason, my computer now stubbornly refuses to offer wide screen settings at all. Every pixel x pixel resolution choice is a 4:3 ratio instead of a 16:9. As a result, everything looks stretched horizontally (or squashed vertically) just like 90% of the wide screen TVs out there, where the users haven't figured out the proper settings.

I have a query in to Envision, but I expect they'll tell me it's either a Windows XP or Intel problem. I'm quite sure that the monitor used to display in authentic wide screen, but have no way to recover the original settings. And yes, I tried resetting the computer to an earlier date. No dice. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...