Friday, March 21, 2008

Cult of Mac: iDon't Get It


Photo from source, Cult of Mac

Despite the group of posts I've written about difficulties with PCs--usually under the banner "Computer Woes," I still don't get the Cult of Macintosh. Sure, Macs probably are easier to configure, and have less problems overall. Some of them are very pretty (though certainly not all--remember the toilet seat notebook?).

It's strange that I have such MacPhobia (iPhobia?). I'm usually a sucker for the underdog. Part of it is the air of superiority many Mac users display. Also, there is a lack of options; the monitor is often attached, or part of the case. I like options. But mostly, I think it's the over-simplification. I don't want my hand held by my computer. I like to roll up my sleeves, and tweak and change things.

I grumble and grouse a lot about getting under the hood of my computer, but the truth is, on some level I really like it. I'm thought of as something of a guru when it comes to computers, even though my powers are waning, with the speed of technological improvements. But in the (supposedly unlikely) event that a Mac breaks down, most of its users would be forced to iTrek to the Apple Store. Me, I take the sucker apart and fix it.

Lastly, I don't want to be forced into using (ugh) Adobe graphics products. iCan't stand them. I'm aware they're the "standard," but that doesn't make them better in my book. All of it is personal preference. I suppose I can take refuge in the fact that this whole Cult of Mac thing is deliriously silly. Next time a Mac addict gets high and mighty with me, I'm just going to point and laugh. See what I mean, here:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...