Saturday, November 7, 2009

Computer Woes, Pet Peeves and A Solution or Two!


I've written a lot about computer woes and gripes since I've had this blog (not to mention Jeep repair woes, oy, $1,500 today!). You see, I'm a PC and have been since about 1987 or so. In other words, ever since the Commodore 64 died. I started with an Amstrad clone, with no hard drive, CGA monitor, two 5-1/4" floppy drives, DOS 2.something and the GEM desktop. Which was a pre, pre, PRE-Windows/Mac-type graphical user interface (GUI). There was no mouse.

I'm self-taught, and have graduated through the MS-DOS (and Dr. DOS and PC-DOS) versions, on up to Windows 3.1, 3.11 for Workgroups, 95, NT, 98, 98SE, Me, XP, Vista 32, Vista 64 and now Windows 7 Home Premium 32 & 64. That's a lot of learning, and a lot of acquired guru know-how to just ditch it for a shiny new Mac. Throw in the fact that (outside of a Justin Long) crush, I'm a Mac-O-Phobe. I've never had a good experience with an Apple product. I've never been bowled over by their "simplicity" or their "intuitiveness." In fact, I've often found them to be quite the opposite.

But being a die-hard PC does lead to a few headaches. Scratch that, a lot of headaches. So below, I'm listing a bunch of my pet peeves, by program. If you've arrived at this page through a Google search, and have any ideas, please leave me feedback!

Greenlee Gazette's List of PC Program Pet Peeves

1. AOL, Nonresponsive - (I know, why do I still use it? Because I'm set in my ways) AOL has always had the ability to lock up your entire computer for no discernible reason. And with the advent of Windows Vista and 7, it has a whole new trick. The twirling blue "wait" cursor will start spinning, and everything will stop responding. ALT+TAB will prove ineffective, and you can't switch programs. CTRL+ALT+DEL will still bring up the task manager, but you can't do anything with it. The screen resolution will turn slightly blurry, and may even "pale out," turning 50% white. This can clear up on its own, or can go on indefinitely.

SOLUTION: The only solution to this for me has been a) Holding in the power button on the computer until it shuts off; b) or hitting CTRL+ALT+DEL and choosing "log off." Option b) actually works pretty well in Windows 7, which actually reboots fairly quickly.

2. AOL, Internet Page Blank -
This one is new with Windows 7. After a few internet pages have been opened, a click on a link, or a new web addressed typed will bring up a blank page. The "wait" icon may be twirling, but the page is doing absolutely nothing. Blank page. "Done" in the title bar. Sometimes it happens in a single window, sometimes in a tab.

SOLUTION: I may have this one licked. If you type CTRL+K in AOL, and then type in the key word "Browser Fix", you will then see a message ending with (0), confirming tunneling has been turned on within the AOL software. Sign off, and reboot. This has worked for me, though not 100%. But so far, it is much better. UPDATE: My problem is back. This worked at first, so maybe it will work for you.

3. Internet Explorer 8 & Blogger - This also started with Windows 7, but not until a few days ago. Maybe there was a change made in IE8, Blogger or Windows 7, I don't know. But in the normal posting window in Blogger, the "Paste" command is just gone. Can't be done. This renders the software cumbersome at best.

SOLUTION: Use FireFox or Google Chrome instead of Internet Explorer. UPDATE: If you want to continue using IE, try this: go to Tools/Compatibility View Settings in the IE tool bar, and then click the check box for “Display all websites in Compatibility View.”

4. Blogger - The biggest problem with this software is that it is not WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get). Editing a new post will NOT necessarily show you what a published piece will look like. Even "Preview" might not get it right. Inserting a picture can throw your formatting all off, the size of text can go completely wacky for no reason, and the results and eccentricities change depending upon which browser you're using.

SOLUTION: Live with it.

5. Google Chrome - Some web sites think that Google Chrome is an old version of FireFox and will not function properly.

SOLUTION: Use FireFox or Internet Explorer.

6. Adobe Graphics Programs - This one's going to bite me on the butt one day. I despise the interface for all Adobe products I've tried, except for Acrobat/Reader. Adobe Illustrator and Adobe PhotoShop are the standard for the graphics industry, but not for the sign industry, where I am. So, I use CorelDRAW and Corel Photo-Paint instead. This isn't a problem. I love Corel. Corel even allows you to set their programs up to look exactly like Adobe products.

Adobe does not return the favor. I don't like the lack of customization, I don't like the floating palettes everywhere, I don't like the lack of a dynamic status bar, I don't like the print options, I don't like any of it. But if I end up in a different part of the graphics industry, I may be forced to adapt. Which would almost be like going from PC to Mac. Ugh.

SOLUTION: There isn't one. But I surely wish Adobe would come up with the option to lay the program out like a Corel application. You'd be doing out of work sign artists a huge favor.

There are many more pet peeves, but these are my biggies. Once again, if you've happened upon this post, and you have other ideas, or other pet peeves, please leave me a comment, or send me an email! Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...