Sunday, November 15, 2009

More Atkins Home Recipes

A few weeks ago, I posted my recipe for a low-carb Atkin's Diet-friendly Chicken Egg Drop Soup recipe. I'm reposting it, along with a Beef Vegetable Soup version I made today. Very tasty, and easy to make. Enjoy.


I've been off and on the Atkin's Diet for a while now. Well, a modified version anyhow. I'm not as strict with alcohol or caffeine as the late Doctor would have liked, but it still tends to work for me. After my recent trips back home, I've been a lot more lax with my diet, pretty much abandoning it for a couple of weeks.

Sadly, this means that this year's changeover from shorts to jeans is met with a little more snuggitude in the waist band than I'd like. So, I've been hitting the Atkins hard this week. If you've ever been on it, you know that you can get really bored. So it is important to make the food interesting so that you aren't tempted to cheat. I have a whole list of "coping" foods in a previous post, and some nifty recipes for low-carb pizza and low-carb tuna melts here.

Last night I made a low-carb soup that I'm enjoying again today, so I thought I'd share my recipe--such as it is--with everybody.

Low-carb Chicken Egg Drop Soup

Chicken (Boiled, baked or grilled)
Chicken stock or bouillion (I use "Better than Bouillion" from a jar) & water
Chopped Onions (frozen, fresh or dehydrated)
Vegetables (I use frozen "Normandy Blend": cauliflower, broccoli, yellow & orange carrots)
Eggs (whipped)
Spices (whatever's your pleasure, I used some Mrs. Dash and some pasta seasoning)
Bay leaves (optional)

NOTE: There are no measurements listed here, because this is pretty much a loose, "can't screw it up" recipe. Just add as much of each thing as you want.]

Shread, cut or otherwise make your chicken into little pieces. Put everything except the eggs into the pot, and turn on the fire. Let the soup begin to bubble, and stir it occasionally. Take your scrambled raw eggs, and drizzle them into the hot soup, a little at a time. When that's done, turn the fire down a little, and put the lid on the pot. Let it cook long enough that the veggies get to your level of tenderness.

Obviously, there's not much else to do. The egg provides a "noodly"-ness to your soup. It's pretty yummy and you can't mess it up. If it needs more broth, put in more broth. More eggs or vegetables? Put in more. Not spicy enough? Throw in some more. As long as you've got a big enough pot, it's impossible to ruin it. Best of all, there are almost no carbs in it at all. . .and you can control that by what vegetables you use. Normandy Blend has, like 3 net carbs. That's it!

(By the way, mine turned out slightly reddish in the picture because I used a leftover piece of marinated chicken. Yours will likely be yellower.)

UPDATE:

Low-carb Beef Vegetable Soup

Browned Ground Beef (with or without onions)
Beef broth or bouillion (I use "Better than Bouillion" from a jar) & water
Chopped Onions (frozen, fresh or dehydrated)
Vegetables (I use frozen "Normandy Blend": cauliflower, broccoli, yellow & orange carrots. I also used frozen green beans for my beef soup)
Eggs (whipped; optional)
Spices (whatever's your pleasure, I used some Mrs. Dash and some pasta seasoning)

Canned Diced Tomatoes
Bay leaves (optional)

NOTE: There are no measurements listed here, because this is pretty much a loose, "can't screw it up" recipe. Just add as much of each thing as you want. Taste as you go.

This recipe pretty much follows the chicken soup recipe, except you can leave out the egg drop if you want (I like it), and add a can of tomatoes. Yes, tomatoes do have carbs, but 1 can spread out over a whole pot? Not much. Dump in the whole can, liquid included, for a richer, tastier broth. The great things about both soups is, you can keep adding ingredients if the taste isn't to your liking. I've made both of these soups several times, and have yet to make one that didn't satisfy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...