Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Conservatives Hawk Biblical Anti-Obama Merchandise


Image from source, Christian Science Monitor

If I saw--prior to yesterday--a T-shirt reading "Pray for Obama, Psalms 109:8", I'd have thought nothing of it. I'm not the praying type, but to each his own. I do know quite a bit about the Bible, but I haven't committed it to memory. So I was surprised when I found out that this slogan is a hot ticket item in conservative circles these days. I thought, really? They're praying for President Obama? Well, no, not really. They're praying for him to leave office. And if you follow logically to the next line in the Bible, the message takes on a fairly hideous tone.

Now, some will undoubtedly say that they only want Obama out, not dead. But unlike other defensive arguments, they can't claim they're being taken out of context. To believe no harm is intended by the slogan would be to claim that they took the Bible out of context. Whoa!

Now, I will freely admit that I levelled a fair number of slurs and ill wishes toward George W. Bush. But I never wished him dead. And I certainly got a good long dose of the Bush Administration before I started to get snarky about it. These clowns started on day one, and haven't let up yet.

[Excerpt]

Biblical anti-Obama slogan: Use of Psalm 109:8 funny or sinister?

There’s a new slogan making its way onto car bumpers and across the Internet. It reads simply: “Pray for Obama: Psalm 109:8”

A nice sentiment? Maybe not. The psalm reads, “Let his days be few; and let another take his office. . .”



No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...