Tuesday, August 3, 2010

What Happens in Vegas: Rush Limbaugh Eats Local FM Station

When I'm in the car, I usually listen to an MP3 CD, conservative talk radio (to see what they're up to), or Jack FM.  Jack is a format of mixed 60s-00s music, and that's pretty much what my CDs are like.  I know it is derided for being programmed elsewhere, has no local flavor, and is essentially soulless.  But then listeners of Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck aren't looking for souls either, are they?

Lately, my listening habits have taken a hit.  The biggest conservo-talk station, KXNT, branded itself "News Radio" years ago, even though they weren't. They were talk radio. Hey, if FOX can call itself news, why not them?  But a recent shakeup of the station's format got it a little closer to the slogan. They removed Alan Stock from the morning, kinda neutered him, and stuck him in afternoon drive time. They replaced him with a jumble of a news show that is somewhat chaotic, and has no flow.  The former afternoon hosts, Casey Hendrickson and Heather Kydd, were 86ed, even though they were getting decent ratings (they've landed in a new gig though).  Consequently, the station--which used to get my blood boiling with all the wrong they were selling--is no longer much worth listening to. At least at drive times, which is the only time I listened.

Now, the new management has taken an even bolder step. They've hijacked my Jack FM station, and are replacing it with a simulcast of their diluted KXNT-AM programming.  Brilliant! Now Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity can be on two stations in the same town!  And still no liberal voices to be found.  I question the soundness of their decision.  I know that Jack wasn't burning up the ratings, but I suspect the same is true of KXNT lately.  I haven't been able to find any news on their current ratings, but if the buzz on the internet is to be believed, fans of their previous format are abandoning KXNT in droves.  I for one will be deleting the 100.5 FM button from my car stereo.

The new format--since it will be simulcast--will be referred to as, "NewsRadio KXNT 100.5 FM 840 AM" which is quite a mouthful.  Especially considering that the on air talent squeezes the name of the station in seemingly every 30 seconds.

Read more at: Radio-Info.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...