Friday, August 13, 2010

Radio Host Stephanie Miller Comes Out of the Closet!

Image from source, Tonic
Updated with audio

Wow. Of all days to not be listening!  I've written several times about my fandom for The Stephanie Miller Show on the radio, most recently here.  But I really had no idea that she was gay. In fact, when I've heard her joke along those lines, I really thought it was just that, a joke! It's her stock-in-trade.

Steph has always been very gay friendly, and often joked about having a "gay ray" that turns her male suitors gay.  Maybe she turned it on herself?  Hah!  Anyway, if I'd guessed there was a coming out on the show, I would have guessed it was Chris LaVoie, her producer.  No aspersions intended of course, I'm gay myself, and Chris always seemed to be a kindred spirit.  And he may well be straight and merely gay-adjacent like frequent guest host Hal Sparks.  Who knows?  But if he is closeted, it'd be pretty silly to stay there now!

So congrats to Steph. It takes courage to come out, even being a liberal, with an established career. It's not exactly a hostile audience that she's coming out to. But as I tried to explain back when I came out (has it really been 14 years?), once those bullets are out of the gun, you can't put 'em back. Once you're out, you're out.  Unless you're Anne Hache.  At least Steph has the advantage of a modicum of fame behind her, and won't have to constantly come out to new acquaintances for the rest of her life.  We un-famous people never stop having to come out to new people!

The upside for Steph is, she'll likely lose close to zero listeners, and may actually gain more than a few.  Now, about Chris. . .

[Excerpt]



Stephanie Miller: "I am a Gay Woman"


Saying she was inspired by discussions with her friend country singer Chely Wright, who became the first country music star to come out as gay in May of this year, the host of the self-titled radio program, The Stephanie Miller Show announced to her listeners Friday that she too is gay. . .

Read more at: Tonic

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...