Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Elizabeth Warren is Unhappy with Mitch McConnell Over Blocked Student Loan Bill

Image from source, PoliticsUSA
I make no secret around here that I love Elizabeth Warren. I'd vote for her for any office she'd run for up to and including (wishful thinking ) president. I think she actually and honestly cares about what she's doing. And her big student loan bill came this close to actually passing. In fact, it passed by a majority about as large as Eric Cantor's loss on election night, but didn't quite make it to supermajority. Yes, Senator Mitch (duck and cover) McConnell mounted a filibuster threat, and that was that. Not because the bill was bad, but because it a) was a Democrat's idea and b) was paid for by raising taxes on the super-rich. Oh, woe is them.

Here's what I've got to wonder though. Every time Republicans block legislation that is popular with broad swaths of the electorate, students, minorities, women, aren't they just shooting themselves in the foot electorally? I mean, I know that Americans have notoriously short memories, and that they are unfortunately easily misled. But in this era of the Googles, John Stewart and Bill Maher, I've got to think voters are going to be reminded come election day.

[Excerpt]
 
Elizabeth Warren Declares War on Mitch McConnell After He Blocked Her Student Loan Bill
 
"Well, accountability is exactly the right word. I plan on fighting back on this, and I hope that everybody else does too. One way, I’m going to start fighting back is I’m going to go down to Kentucky and I’m going to campaign for Alison Lundergan Grimes, . She’s tough. She’s feisty. She endorsed the student loan bill, said she wanted to bring down interest rates for Kentuckians, and so my view is, I’m going to get out there and try to make this happen for her. . ."

Read more (with video) at: PoliticsUSA

2 comments:

  1. Umm just wondering why the "super rich" should pay increased taxes so students in say Philosophy, English Literature and other worthless degrees can graduate with lower student loans?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Because 1) the super-rich can most afford it, 2) because the super-rich are only super-rich if they have customers who can buy their products, and 3) because the student loan problem is only a problem because tuitions have sky-rocketed to the point that it would take a decade or more (or never) to pay off. Have you seen the amount of increase since we were college-age? I had a $100-per quarter scholarship, and it meant something! Today, that would be like throwing a quarter into a cup.

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...