Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Apropos of Nothing: Rob Liefeld's Top 40 Worst Drawings

If you haven't noticed by the tone and nature of my recent posts, I'm finding the "all Egypt, all the time" news cycle a bit out of my wheel house. I'm sorry. I know that it's important. I know people are dying, and brave people are. . .doing. . .stuff. I'm trying to get interested. I'm trying to understand and appreciate it, but zzzzzzzzz-z-z-z-z-z-z!!!!  I'm sorry, I dozed off again. It just doesn't have the pop, nor the sizzle.
Anatomically gifted. . .
or cursed? From Progressive Boink

I know, I'm part of the problem. But since I can't find news items that raise my interest, I've been trolling the internets for frivolity. And hoo-boy did I find some. As I've said a bee-jillion times here, I'm a comics fan from way back, but more of a DC than a Marvel fan. So, I had no idea who Rob Liefeld really was, other than a vague recognition of his name. Somehow (probably after my last post on the new Superman movie), I stumbled upon this hysterical post.

Liefeld is apparently a prolific and very successful creator from comics' past and present. He's a writer and an artist, a legend to some. And he's drawn some spectacularly bad artwork. Maybe some good stuff too, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. But the writer of this excerpted piece below just cracks me up. I'd never want to be critiqued by someone of such wicked wit. But it's a blast to read!

[Excerpt]

The 40 Worst Rob Liefeld Drawings



. . .And then, there's Rob Liefeld. You know how people draw comics? Rob doesn't do that. He had his own Levi's commercial directed by Spike Lee in the 90s. He had best-selling comic books. He was a revolutionary and helped co-found Image Comics when all the hot artists ditched their classic gigs (like Spider-Man, the X-Men, and, uh, Guardians of the Galaxy) for creator-owned projects. But he doesn't "draw" comics. Oh God, no.



Just... ugh, just let me show you. . .

Read more at: Progressive Boink

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...