Thursday, February 10, 2011

Guess Who's Coming to CPAC?

Image from source, MetroWeekly
I love the headline to this piece. I don't love the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC), though I do love writing about the insantity that comes out of there.  I don't love GOProud, the gay conservative group that is causing a ruckus at CPAC.  But I love the fact that they're causing a ruckus!

The members of GOProud sometimes will say that the "vast majority" of conservatives aren't anti-gay, that it's just a vocal minority who are homophobic.  I would contend that it is a bit larger than they imply, and that they aren't just vocal, they set the agenda, and sometimes are actually in office. GOProud represents a collection of people with arch-conservative views (or at least what conservatism has morphed into), who are also gay. Where the Log Cabin Republicans are gay conservatives, GOProuds are conservative gays. The size of the text there is on purpose. GOProud would comprimise on gay rights issues long before they'd consider (hell, they might not even consider) comprimising their conservative "ideals." 

Try as I might, I can't understand those ideals. When I watch Glenn Beck or Sean Hannity, listen to Rush Limbaugh or Mark Levin, read something by Ann Coulter or Michelle Malkin, or hear something by Michele Bachmann or Sarah Palin, I don't disagree with them because they're might be anti-gay, or even because they're conservative. I think they're extremists.  I think they're bonkers and/or charlatans. But GOProud is solidly in line with all of the above. Anyway, enough ranting by me. The article excerpted below is an excellent introduction to what GOProud is about. See what you think.

[Excerpt]

Guess Who's Coming to CPAC?



GOProud has taken the conservative and LGBT movements by storm by being brash, loud and uncompromisingly conservative -- and just as uncompromisingly gay. . .
 
I disagree with that last part, but the article is good. Read more at: MetroWeekly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...