Monday, February 7, 2011

Huffington Post Bought by AOL

I'm one of those weirdos who still uses AOL with frequency. Every day, in fact.  I use it at work, and I use it at home. A lot of the reason for that is that my personal email address and our work "base" address (other addresses are forwarded to it) are @aol.com. Having used those addresses since the mid-90s, I just never wanted to give them up. Plus, I quite like the AOL Desktop interface over any of the browsers out there.

Internet Explorer and Firefox have both gotten very good at what they do. But they can't replicate the way I work, a way I developed from using AOL for 16 years or so. Still, I know the (sometimes deserved, sometimes not) reputation AOL has. It used to be considered the internet with training wheels, and now it's just deemed obsolete. So I would have thought someone would have bought AOL before AOL bought somebody else. Apparently though, AOL is flush with cash, and wanted a big meaty content provider.

They found it in The Huffington Post. Arianna Huffington's baby grew into a media empire, and now they will be part of AOL, with Huffington in charge of content. It will be curious to see if HuffPo divests itself of its liberal image, or if AOL becomes LeftNet or something.  I used both quite a bit, so I'll be watching for sure.

[Excerpt]

AOL to buy The Huffington Post for $315 million




AOL Inc will buy Arianna Huffington's influential website for $315 million, looking to the high-profile liberal pundit to rescue it from the dustbin of Internet history. . .
 
Read more at: Reuters

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...