Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Is Wisconsin the New Egypt?

Image from source, NY Times
Hey, I know the headline is silly. I'm not serious, I know the protests are about vastly different things.  Still, I'm heartened to see our citizenry take to the streets, and fight for what they believe in. Sure, we had the "tea party" folks, but their message was vague and all over the place. Not to mention propped up by conservative billionaires, putting the protesters out there to fight against their own best interests. 

Now, don't get me wrong. I've never been a member of a union, and I have opinions that come down on both the pro- and anti- sides. But I also recognize that were it not for unions, many of the things all workers have become accustomed to (40-hour work week, weekends, etc.) would not exist for many of us. But those things are now being chipped away. There are even conservatives out there arguing against child labor laws for goodness' sake. So, while I don't know all of the particulars in this battle yet, I know which side I'm more drawn to. And it isn't Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker.

From my vantage point, here is what we all need to pay attention to: what does each side want to keep, and what do they want to cut? For instance, does it make sense to cut funding for NPR and PBS, while continuing to provide billions in subsidies to Big Oil (whose companies make the largest profits of any industry in the history of the world)?  Keep an eye on 'em, folks.

[Excerpt]

Angry Demonstrations in Wisconsin as Cuts Loom



As four game wardens awkwardly stood guard, protesters, scores deep, crushed into a corridor leading to the governor’s office here on Wednesday, their screams echoing through the Capitol: “Come out, come out, wherever you are!” . . .
 
Read more at: New York Times

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...