Monday, February 21, 2011

Blast from the Past: My Favorite SNL Clips of the 70s and 80s

This has likely been one of my least productive blogging weeks. I just have not been much in the mood. I have a feeling it is an expression of the February blahs, something I used to get back in Ohio. There, I had the excuse that the sun stops shining some time in November, and doesn't start again until March.  Out here in Las Vegas, I don't have that excuse. Maybe it's just inborn.

But I wanted to get something new up for Monday, even if I do have a "surprise" day off from work. So, since NBC decided to fill their entire Sunday night with Saturday Night Live specials--once again, too focused on musical acts--I thought I'd see if some of my favorite clips are available. Having watched the show since the very first live episode, I've stuck through each cast change. Every year has it's bright spots (though some years they are rare), and every year has it's rough episodes (more than you likely remember). Here are some of the better moments.

Church Chat - Dana Carvey brought out "The Church Lady" (Enid Strict was her actual name) in his first episode in 1986. It was an unusually strong first episode, funny nearly all the way through. This skit is from a little later in the season, featuring Phil Hartman as Jimmy Swaggert, the then recently scandal-plagued televangelist. Church Chat came along just in time for a lot of religion-themed scandals.



Bonus, Derek Stevens Choppin' Broccoli - This isn't one of my favorite clips, but it is memorable, and from that initial Carvey episode, hosted by Sigourney Weaver. It was also the first episode for Phil Hartman, as well as Jan Hooks and Victoria Jackson.



Quiz Masters - This one always cracked me up, mostly for Jan Hooks. SNL has used game shows as skit fodder for as long as it's been around, so this one didn't break any special ground, but for some reason, it stuck with me.



Emily Litella on Weekend Update - Any appearance by Gilda Radner, as Emily Litella or Roseanne Roseanneadana, on Weekend Update would qualify as a favorite. She likely had the first regular characters featured on Update, a trend that would stray further and further from actual news-related figures. But Emily and Roseanne were both news commentators, and very, very funny.



"Not for Ladies Only"- Another Gilda clip, one of many favorites. This one was a natural, since Madeline Kahn was the host of the evening. Each woman had performed as a character that spoke like Elmer Fudd, Kahn as Lilly Von Schtupp in Blazing Saddles, and Radner as Baba Wawa. Here, they get together with Kahn as "Marlena Deutschland." Very funny stuff. I still get a little misty that both of these funny ladies met sad, too-early deaths.



Well, I suppose that's enough for one entry, and I have really not even scratched the surface. Maybe I'll do a sequel next week. In the meantime, happy Presidents' Day, and have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...