Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Apple's New Skinny Notebook Mac Computer


Image from source, Internet News

Even I, an anti-Mac activist (heh) find this new product pretty danged cool. But it's not enough to make me switch. As a graphic artist in the sign industry, I am a PC-user. What? You thought graphic artists all use Macs? Uh, no, we don't.

And part of my Mac aversion comes from the attitudes I get from Mac users. I am looked down upon, laughed at, maybe even pitied by these people. But I have a secret. . .I'm better than they are! OK, that sounds rampantly egotistical. What I mean to say is, after 11 years in this occupation, and a PC user for much longer, there's a little truth to it. 90% of artwork I receive from Mac artists has to be re-worked, sometimes completely redrawn to be usable. Just remember, it is often the user, not the tool used, that makes the artist.

The other part of it is the whole Apple aesthetic. People ooh and ahh at the designs (me too, sometimes), but look how quickly those splashy designs become dated. Remember the jelly-bean colored toilet seat that doubled as a notebook? Even the original (equally colorful) iMacs are now quite passe. In fact, most of the designs that come out of Apple remind me of the "futuristic" designs at Disneyland--from the 60s. They seem to be aimed at the avant-garde, snobbish characters on Saturday Night Live, Nuni and Nooni. OK, end of rant. . .for now.

Image from answers.com

[Excerpt]

Apple Lightens Up

Of his four announcements, the new MacBook Air notebook proved the star of the show. Jobs proclaimed it the thinnest notebook computer in the world.

The three-pound, $1,799 MacBook -- scheduled to ship in two weeks -- is indeed tiny. At 0.76 inches at its thickest point and a mere 0.16 inches at its skinniest, the design trumps Sony's TZ series, which ranges from 0.8 to 1.2 inches in thickness. . .

Read more at: Internet News

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...