Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Will CBS's Swingtown Make It?


Image from source, New York Times

As a fan of Swingtown, I'm not just worried, I'm sure that CBS will unceremoniously kill the show at the end of its summer run. It's what usually happens to shows that I find to be "must see." Last season, I was extremely surprised to find that Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles was renewed for a second go around for that very reason.

While very different in theme and genre, both shows share a couple of common traits. Both have casts that are perfectly suited to their storylines, and both have writing several notches above the standard TV fare. I just got The Other Half to watch last Friday's episode of Swingtown, and he was instantly hooked. That's one more strike against it, unfortunately! If we both like it, it's doomed.

Here's hoping that CBS's corporate parent, Viacom, will find a more suitable home for the show (Showtime, anyone?). I won't hold out a lot of hope, but I will be crossing my fingers.

[Excerpt]

‘Swingtown’ and the Heyday of the Average

SOMEDAY I may better understand the mechanics of the millennial mind. Until then I will wonder how shows like “Ghost Whisperer” keep going and a series like “Swingtown” fails to catch on. A period piece on CBS, “Swingtown” nears the end of its summer run with a dwindling audience despite all the elements that seemed to point to its potential for popularity. . .

Read more at: New York Times

And more at: TV Squad What will CBS do with Swingtown?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...