Saturday, August 23, 2008

What CAN We Americans Do Right These Days?


Guest posted by NevadaJoe

What can we Americans do right these days?

Many things, but a lot less than we did in the past. Sounds like I hate my country doesn't it? I'm a liberal, union member, and I don't own a gun. I guess I could also be an atheist and or a communist to really sully my reputation. But regardless of all of the above I am a middle-aged American who has no idea if he will still have a job by this time next year. And from what I am reading I am a member a fast growing fraternity.

We all know that jobs come and go, as do industries. Know a barrel maker or carriage manufacturer? "The only constant is change." Blah blah blah.

Yeah I get it, but we should be able to manufacture cars that everyone wants. . .to operate airlines that aren't second-rate in comparison to most of the international carriers. . .to have moderately priced health care. . .to have an air traffic control system that doesn't tell you your flight is number 52 to depart JFK. . .a financial/banking system that doesn't have to be bailed out because the CEOs are not the brilliant strategists they purport to be (and demand compensation for that brilliance). . .drug companies that don't charge Americans more for the drugs than consumers in other countries. . .a legal system that isn't just the best that money can buy (OJ, Robert Blake). . .and a group of lawyers willing to sue anyone for anything with no shame.

OK, I am rambling, but come on. Do we ever take the bull by the horns as a people and demand change? Hell, I know things are complicated and nuanced. But we need leadership that says we have to invest in our basic infrastructure again. We need unions and manufacturers to face the music and work together before industries die completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...