Thursday, August 1, 2013

Computer Woes: Glitches Galore with Windows 8.1!

I haven't had time to blog tonight because I had a (semi-self-created) computer problem with my brand new PC. I'm not sure if I should blame this on Windows 8.1 Preview, AOL, or the fact that I still use AOL. But I'm used to it, and I do.

The problem stemmed from AOL email, which for some reason was displaying with no header (time, date, sender, receiver, etc.). This was annoying me, so I went in search of an answer. Suggestions were to try rebooting (I did), re-download the software (I did), and if that doesn't work, uninstall the software, and reinstall it. Okey-dokey, no problem.

I ran the AOL Uninstaller program, selected all three elements of the AOL software, and ran the uninstall. AOL asked my why, I told them, and I rebooted. But guess what? No internet on reboot. Like at all. I ran troubleshooters, I searched through settings, nothing. And when I finally figured out Windows 8's device manager, I discovered that AOL's virtual connection was still there, but dysfunctional. And undeletable. I dug a Cat-5 cable out of the closet, plugged directly into the wireless (ha!) router, and still had to futz around for 10 minutes to actually get online.

Long story short, I got AOL reinstalled, I fixed the virtual connection, I still have no wireless connection (which isn't really a big deal, but is irritating), and the emails? Still have no headers. And this took roughly two hours. I actually have less functionality, and no progress. My rep as a PC guru may be in danger, but this all goes into my mental database for the future. I just wonder if I'll ever resolve the wireless situation, should I ever actually need it.

Blogging to come, maybe. Or maybe tomorrow. I'm pooped!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...