Sunday, August 25, 2013

Blast from the Past: Linda Ronstadt, Hurts So Bad. . .

This week, acclaimed singer (of many genres) Linda Ronstadt revealed that she has Parkinson's Disease, and that it has robbed her of her singing voice. Sad under any circumstances, for anybody. Sadder for a person who makes a living with their voice. Devastating when it's someone with such an amazing voice.

I didn't always think so, or at least realize it, I guess. I grew up in the 70s and early 80s, and Rondstadt was a big part of the soundtrack to my childhood. Dad liked her, of course, since she was a hottie back then, right behind Olivia Newton-John and Cher. Ronstadt had a long string of hits from 1975 forward, several of them covers. But since I was more of an ABBA fan, and then on toward disco, Ronstadt just wasn't my genre, so I didn't pay much attention. But when you listen, really listen, particularly in songs like Long, Long Time? She had an amazing voice, which is especially clear when you hear the live version and it's just as good as the studio recording.

So, here, for your entertainment and edification, is a selection of my favorite Linda Ronstadt songs, which--it turns out--I actually was a fan of after all. Which is part of having a "blast from the past," when you really think about it.


 



There are of course, lots more, including the Neslon Riddle Era, the "Trio" era with Dolly Parton and Emmylou Harris, the Aaron Neville era. . .on and on. But I trust you can find them on the YouTubes yourself, should you want to. Meanwhile, have a great week, everybody. Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...