Thursday, August 22, 2013

Prison Break's Wentworth Miller Comes Out, Refuses Russian Invitation

Image from Glaad.org
As a pop culture follower and a gay person, I'm pretty clued in to which celebrities are really gay, but in a "glass closet." Sometimes a name will surprise me (I really didn't guess Neil Patrick Harris, Wanda Sykes or Stephanie Miller), but usually I've heard it by the time they come out. I'm not saying I'm special or anything, but it's remarkable how often rumors are correct. Anderson Cooper, Ricky Martin, Matt Bomer, George Michael, Melissa Etheridge, Ellen DeGeneres, Jim Parsons, Victor Garber, Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Sean Hayes, Clay Aiken and many more were all "known" to those in the know long before they came out. There are still several big names in the glass closet, and the emptier it gets, the more you wonder a) what they're waiting for and b) if there's even a chance that they're actually straight. You know who I mean, right?

Anyway, good on Wentworth Miller for coming out--though I "knew" he was in there--for coming out in a classy way, and with a politically relevant message. Kudos to you sir!

[Excerpt]

Wentworth Miller rejects Russian film festival invitation; 'As a gay man, I must decline'

Actor and screenwriter Wentworth Miller today rejected an invitation to attend the St. Petersburg International Film Festival, citing Russia's anti-LGBT laws. In a letter to the Festival's Director, the 'Prison Break' star stated that "as a gay man, I must decline." Miller goes on to say that he is "deeply troubled" by Russia's lawful brutality toward the LGBT community. "I cannot in good conscience participate in a celebratory occasion hosted by a country where people like myself are being systematically denied their basic right to live and love openly," Miller concludes. . .

Read more at: GLAAD.org

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...