Wednesday, September 10, 2014

iDon'tCare: Apathy for Apple's New Delights

A cult that needs a new name. . .
I am no stranger to "new product lust." When I get something into my head that I want to possess, I tend to obsess about it. Particularly if it's not going to be available right away. I'll read all the reviews. Set a Google alert. Sign up for blogs and forums dedicated to the subject. I might even make a custom wallpaper for my computer monitors.

There was a time when I went to Office Depot at midnight, in order to be among the first to get Windows 95. And believe me, in those days, getting the information was much more difficult! I attended the "Start Me Up" launch event earlier in the day, with Jay Leno! These days, I've obsessed about the Samsung Galaxy S4, about granite for countertops, faucets, sinks, appliances, and most recently, the upcoming Jeep Renegade. But the so-called "Cult of Mac" eludes me.

Cult of Mac is the name for Apple fan boys and girls, and is sort of out of date as a term, since it isn't limited to must Macintosh derivatives. These are the folks who hang out at the Apple store, and wait in days-long lines to be the first to get the latest iPhone, iPad, iPod, etc. And "cult" is really close to the right term. Some of the things that come close, are Disney, Star Wars and Star Trek fans, sports fdespises my beloved Renegade, as well as the latest Cherokee).
Calling Dick Tracy, Calling Dick Tracy!
Images from source, Reuters.
ans, and the Jeep community (which, it should be noted,

It's probably a little unhealthy to have such devotion to a corporation. And frankly, I'm really glad this particular obsession passed me by. I mean, I have had three MacBooks, but all used. They're fine, but not thrilling. The bug just didn't bite me. I gave my only iPod to my sister, because I never used it. I use my Galaxy S4 phone for music, podcasts and radio, I don't need an iPod.

I can't imagine needing an Apple Watch either (and they probably should have stuck with iWatch, or iChronos or something). It seems kind of clunky to me, and a bit superfluous. But I could be wrong. Who would have thought we'd decide we have to pay thousands of dollars a year to have data/texting/cellular service that we used to manage to do just fine without? Who would have thought that tablet computing would bloom into desktop/laptop-killing segment in just four years?

You read that right, the iPad came out four years ago. That's it. So, maybe the Apple Watch can manage to get people to pay $350 for a watch that only works if they also have an iPhone? Maybe.

What a big phone you've got, Apple!
Also in this news were the expected upgrades to iPhone, the 6 and the 6 Plus. These phones--finally--approximate the size of the rest of the world's smart phones. Which is borderline hilarious, considering Apple fan boys have been belittling larger screens for years, as unnecessary, cumbersome, and not user friendly. And now? They won't even have the small size available to them unless they buy--horrors--an outdated model!

There is no doubt that Apple knows how to put on a show. It knows how to create buzz. And it has a sizeable chunk of the populace on the hook. It is baited and set, and they will land most of them! Kudos to Apple. I'm just glad I'm not in on this particular obsession.

[Excerpt]

Apple unveils watch, larger iPhones in bid to retake innovation crown

Apple Inc unveiled a watch, two larger iPhones and a mobile payments service on Tuesday as Chief Executive Officer Tim Cook seeks to revive the technology company's reputation as a wellspring of innovation.The first new product to be developed and introduced under Cook's reign is a timepiece tethered to the iPhone that will combine health and fitness tracking with communications. It will price at $349 and go on sale in early 2015. . .

Read more at: Reuters 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...