Rap music. For the most part, I really don't like it. I don't consider it to be a worthy talent, and I don't enjoy it. I thought, thirty years ago, that it would burn itself out, but no. Not at all. It just keeps on chugging. And more power to 'em! I just don't like it.
Except when I do. Over the years (and you'll notice, it's mostly in years long gone by), there have been rap songs here and there that I like. Even love in some cases, enough that I'll back it up, crank it up and start it again. These songs have a rather common theme: they're usually rap/pop hybrids, with a genuine chorus, and some musicality. You'll see a trend for sure, and if you're a rap fan, you'll probably think this list is lame. That's cool too. But here we go. . .
1. C'mon N' Ride It (The Train) by Quad City DJs (1995) - This song was popular when I used to go out dancing. I liked it the first time I heard it. I think I can, I think I can!
2. Bust a Move by Young MC (1989) - This is one I can listen to over and over.
3. Get Up! (Before the Night is Over) by Technotronic (1990) - Actually, I like several of Technotronic's songs, but this one is my favorite.
4. Rapper's Delight by The Sugarhill Gang (1979) - This may be the song that birthed the whole genre. I somehow didn't know that it samples Good Times by Chic until years later.
5. Nightmare on My Street by DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince (1988) - As a horror fan, of course I liked this one!
6. Let's Talk About Sex by Salt-N-Pepa (1991) - Again, I like several of this group's tunes, but this is a personal favorite (perhaps because I actually did more than talk when it was playing one time? :)
7. It Takes Two by Rob Base & DJ E-Z Rock (1988) - This one is fun, and was sort of remade as the pop song, Two to Make it Right by Seduction.
8. Walk This Way by Run D.M.C. & Aerosmith (1986) - Before this track, Aerosmith was kind of dead in the water. Great redo.
9. Gangsta's Paradise by Coolio (1995) - I guarantee I don't know any other Coolio, but I like this one.
10. Just a Friend by Biz Markie (1989) - Only because it's so bad, it's hilarious!
And that's it, my unlikely list of my favorite rap songs. I'll never be taken for an expert, not even a little. But I've played all of these songs within the last few months!
Have a great week everybody. Happy Monday!