Tuesday, January 1, 2008

AP Reports Huckabee's Fatal Flub


Photo of John Aravosis from BartNagel.com

BlogActive's Mike Rogers calls AmericaBlog's John Aravosis his "blogfather," because of Aravosis' influence on Rogers. I feel that influence myself, and credit AmericaBlog (along with Huffington Post) with inspiring me to start my own blog.

I personally do not know John Aravosis, but have communicated with him in email, and he's always been gracious. He's a smart fellow, and also strongly opinionated. I do not agree with everything he says (I can't imagine such a person). I haven't abandoned or raged against AmericaBlog when Aravosis takes a position I don't agree with. It's actually quite startling how many people fly into a rage in the comments areas, when a post rubs them the wrong way. Contrary to George W.'s stance on everything, we do not live in a binary, black or white, on or off world.

Ahem. That was a long way to go to get to a point (sorry, I do tend to wander off on tangents), which was made by Aravosis today; that the press increasingly relies on press releases, and he-said/she-said, "balanced" stories, rather than actual reporting. So it is startling when you run across an actual news. Here's an excerpt from AmericaBlog, which features an excerpt from AP to illustrate that point.

[Excerpt]


Wow, an entire Associated Press story about how Huckabee may have made a fatal gaffe yesterday. The thing is, AP didn't quote outsiders saying this, they did their own election analysis, God bless them. They actually wrote a real news story, acted like real journalists, and analyzed the news rather than just regurgitating press releases in a never-ending contest of he-said-she-said. . .

Read the rest at: AmericaBlog

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...