Monday, January 14, 2008

TV Review: Terminator The Sarah Connor Chronicles


Image from FOX.com

Last night, I missed the first episode of Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles (putting Terminator in the title was a good idea, by the way). I found out at work from a co-worker that it had been on. Sure, I'd seen all of the ads of the girl Terminator's torso suspended from cables (direct steal from Star Trek: First Contact). But I'd seen it so often, I didn't pay attention I guess.

Now, far be it for me to be impressed by Rupert Murdoch, but the video-on-demand at FOX.com was outstanding. Very good quality, and no commercials--sweet. Right after watching the online version, I was just in time to catch episode two in hi def on TV. So, on to the review.

Wow. I am impressed. This was everything Terminator 3 should have been but wasn't. And the producers of the show have wisely made the show pick up after T2, and seem to be largely ignoring the third film. In fact, if all three movies and this show are considered cannon, T:TSCC effectively erases part three from the continuity anyway, since they've changed the timeline in the story.

The elements of the first two films are all there (except for Arnold, and you won't miss him), especially the whole vibe of part 2. So far we don't have any shape-shifting Terminators, but that was sort of a 90s CG "ain't it cool" thing anyway. Lena Headey plays Sarah Connor with the same intensity as Linda Hamilton, and you believe her as the character right away. The other actors acquit themselves nicely too. I really have no complaints.

I thought the show was going to be a The Fugitive or The Incredible Hulk style drama, with our heroes on the run from town to town every week. But episode two seems to be setting them up in at least a semi-permanent location. I don't know if they can keep the quality and energy level up from week to week, but if they do, I have another "must see" show to add to the schedule--at least until the writers' strike catches up to them.

I'm sure many Terminator fans (of the nitpicker variety) will find countless things to pick at, from the temporal to merely continuity problems, but I loved it. It was everything I'd hoped the new Bionic Woman would be, but wasn't. BW leaves me mildly entertained, but not eagerly anticipating the next episode. T:TSCC leaves me excited, and counting the days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...