Sunday, February 17, 2008

Great Quotes by Famous People #1: George Orwell


Photo of George Orwell ThirdWorldTraveller.com

Posting on the weekends is rough work, as I've mentioned before. And it isn't like I haven't tried. I've been in front of the computer for a couple of hours, and just haven't dug up anything interesting enough to share.

On a break, I started leafing through a book called True Lies, a book by Anthony Lappé and Ian Inaba from something called "The Guerrilla News Network." I am not familiar with GNN. But what drew me to the book was a forward by Greg Palast, and blurb from Fast Food Nation author Eric Schlosser. Palast and Schlosser would be at the top of the list of writers I admire.

Anyway, the point of this post (and I do have one), is a great quote at the beginning of the book:


". . .we are all capable of believing things which we know to be untrue, and then, when we are finally proved wrong, impudently twisting the facts so as to show that we were right. Intellectually, it is possible to carry on this process for an indefinite time: the only check on it is that sooner or later a false belief bumps up against solid reality, usually on the battlefield."--George Orwell, "In Front of Your Nose"

Reading this quote, I couldn't help but think that Karl Rove probably should have put down his dog-eared copy of Orwell's 1984, and picked up In Front of Your Nose. Manufacturing reality works for a while, but then reality smacks you in the face. Thankfully, many people are getting smacked, and finally are waking up.

This will hopefully be a new semi-regular feature here. I'll be on the lookout for other notable quotes. And I'll also be checking out Guerrilla News Network, and see what that's all about.

1 comment:

  1. PT 1
    http://www.mtrnews.com/node/83

    PT 2
    http://www.mtrnews.com/node/92

    PT 3
    http://www.mtrnews.com/node/99

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...