Saturday, February 2, 2008

The Simpsons Post I Never Wanted To Make


Image from source, TV3

As is evident in many of my previous posts, I'm not a big fan of the religion. I've covered my reasons pretty thoroughly, and if you have any interest, you can type the word "religion" in the search box above.

It's a strange sensation to have one of your idols become swept up in religion. Sure it's a personal choice that has nothing to do with me. It's their business, right? But I can't help but think a little less of them, particularly when it is a religion like Scientology.

Like Mormonism, Scientology is a rather recent arrival in the world of religion. It was brought into being by a science fiction writer, L. Ron Hubbard. Curiously, the religion closely resembles some of Hubbard's earlier sci-fi stories. And worst of all, in order to "progress" into the higher levels of the religion (!), one must fork over ones hard-earned cash. Lots of it. Ugh.

So, which of my idols has given tons of cash to this religion? Bart Simpson. Or, more accurately, Nancy Cartwright, who voices Bart. I'm a long-time, die hard The Simpsons fan, having watched since the first short clip of it appeared on The Tracey Ullman Show on my 21st birthday. It may be odd to idolize a cartoon, but I truly believe that the writers and voice actors of the show embody an incredible talent, intelligence and wit. Scientology is just the type of thing that The Simpsons would ordinarily mock mercilessly. Why, Nancy, why?

[Excerpt]

Voice of Bart Simpson donates $10m to scientology

Nancy Cartwright, the voice behind cartoon character Bart Simpson, has been awarded Scientology's Patron Laureate Award after donating $US10 million to the organisation in 2007. . .

Read more at: TV3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...