Sunday, February 10, 2008

Sunday Afternoon: What I've Learned


Photo of Town Square, Las Vegas from their official web site
After a morning that left me uninspired, Sunday afternoon was illuminating. OK, that's not true, but it was fun! For a change of pace, we actually got out of the house. And after a little while out in some unseasonably warm weather, here's what I've learned.

#1 - Las Vegas has a new "fake" but cool marketplace, the new version of a mall, called "Town Square." We knew this was coming, they levelled Vacation Village (a dump) to build it, right in the armpit of the I-15/I-215 interchange. But I must say, it was a very effective use of space. And it has a view of the Mandalay Bay and Luxor. Cool. We didn't stay long, but I saw--to my astonishment--that it includes a book store; something my area of town hasn't had for the entire 13+ years I've lived in Las Vegas. Woohoo!

#2 - Libraries are fantastic, but watch the late fees. Really, I have no idea how I racked up $2.50 in late charges. That was embarrassing. But worth the money! Seriously, if you don't have a library card, you are missing out. But why are they holding church services in the auditorium there? Isn't that at Constitutional violation? And a passion play? In Spanish?

#3 - Little things in life that bug you can often be fixed with very little investment. While we were at Town Square, we went next door to Fry's Electronics, the enormous media/appliance/electronics/compter store/restaurant. While there, I got it in my head to buy a new mouse for my computer. I got a very nice Microsoft optical jobbie for under $20. I thought my old jittery mouse problem might be more serious than just the mouse itself. . .but no. The new one works perfectly, and my problem is solved*.

#4 - Shrek the Third is better than everybody said it was. While at Fry's, we picked up the third Shrek movie (along with Spiderman 3), which neither I, nor The Other Half had seen. Everyone told us it was no good. So, we lowered our expectations, popped some corn, popped in the movie and watched. And we both liked it, very much. Sure, the novelty is gone, but it was entertaining, and the computer effects (which we all take for granted now) really stood out on our HDTV--a TV set we bought after seeing the original Shrek playing on it at the store. More on Spiderman 3 after we've watched it.

*And a note on those cheap investments. We've struggled with the interior door to our garage for ten years. Guests and visitors always thought it was locked, but no, it was just difficult. Yesterday, it broke. One day earlier, and we would have been locked out of the house without a key. Anyway, I ran to Home Depot for a replacement. $8.95 and twenty minutes later, and we had a wonderfully working door. For under ten bucks. We should have fixed it years ago. Why do we do that to ourselves?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...