Sunday, June 1, 2008

Sunday Morning: Clinton, Obama, McClellan, Oh My!


I had the rare opportunity (and somehow, the intestinal fortitude) to watch all of the Sunday morning political talk shows this morning. What, there are five? Sorry, I can't take Wolf Blitzer, especially after choking back bile from watching FOX "News" Sunday.

All of the shows focused--naturally--on yesterday's battle to seat Democratic delegates for Florida and Michigan. The other big topic was former Press Secretary Scott McClellan's book What Happened. A smaller note was made about Barack Obama quitting his church, though that was the very first thing that FOX's Chris Wallace focused on. Surprise!

The biggest theme of the morning, on all four shows, was the Barack Obama vs. Hillary Clinton take on the primary at this very late stage. Rather, it was a variety of their campaign supporters, each dispatched to one of the shows. Not surprisingly, the Clinton people were Rovian in both their logic and their presentations. Each of them (particularly the loathesome Terry McCauliffe) used nearly identical verbiage in answer to their various interviewers. The phrase that struck me as the most obvious talking point was "I don't accept that premise" as a response to the question of Clinton leaving should Obama secure enough delegates to win on Tuesday.

The Obama people may have been using their own version of "talking points" but it sure didn't sound like it to me--and I'm not a long-time Obamaton. Mostly, I get the vibe that Obama wants to play fair, and that Clinton wants to seem fair. "Truthiness" seems to be her touchstone. I didn't feel this way in the beginning, but over the last several months, Clinton and her mouthpieces have rubbed me so far the wrong way, I see them as indistinguishable from "permanent campaign" Republicans. And I want Terry McCauliffe to never appear on my TV set again. Ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...