Sunday, January 18, 2009

Sunday Update


UPDATE: Well, after cannibalizing the oldest computer and my old Dell, I've got the new computer up and running. Now, I'm installing some software--which will probably end up costing me $20 here and there. And I have no sound. I don't know why. But I'm not a newby to this stuff, so I'll figure it out. Meantime, the blog will probably not see many--or any--new posts for a little while.

Original Post:

Well, since the beginning of the year, I have not had a slow weekend. Week one, I moved my home office and guest room furniture out, to swap the rooms. Last weekend, we painted, cleaned carpets, and put the rooms back together. And this weekend, I bought a new computer.

Every new computer is anti-climactic. You lust after a new one forever, but when you finally get it home, it's a lot of work! Right now, I am still trying to use "Windows Easy Transfer" and having no luck. It keeps getting stuck, but offers little help in getting started again. I'm just about to give up and do everything manually.

And then there are all the cutesy hand-holding "helpful" features built in to any new computer. I don't need them. I don't want them. I don't want sixteen extra toolbars in my Internet Explorer. So, I have to clear out all of that. Then, I have to reinstall all of the software I like to use, software updates, little things I forgot I had, rearrange toolbars and settings. Sigh. So quick from happy to sad!

And then, the really big news of the weekend, which is the tantalizing possibility of moving. We've been interested in moving back to the Midwest for various reasons, always setting the date three years in the future. But we now have the opportunity to buy a house in a neighborhood here in Las Vegas (Henderson, actually) where two sets of friends live. We weren't looking to move, but this house is across the street from one set of friends, down the road from another, and it is half-again the size of ours, while being about the same--or possibly even lower--price.
It's probably just a pie-in-the-sky dream. But we managed to sneak into the house, and take a look around. . .and now we're really intrigued. We'd lose a garage bay, but gain a living room. My home office would be smaller, but our master bedroom would be bigger. The master bath is nicer, the storage spaces are larger. The kitchen is laid out nicely, with lots of storage space and counter tops. . .but I'd probably lose all of my (recently acquired) kitchen appliances.

Grumble, grumble, sigh. Probably, much like the computer scenario, this will end with a combination of happiness and sadness. I won't be bummed if we stay in this house. I will be terrified if we get the new house and either a) we have trouble selling or renting this house, b) we have further job/paycheck issues, c) we spend all of our money on buying the house and moving, and can't afford some imminent catastrophe. Oy. Is it this angsty for everybody?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...