Thursday, January 15, 2009

Late to the Party: I Understand Texting Now!


OK, I'll admit, while I'm in general pretty smart, I can be a little slow sometimes. I didn't get my first cell phone until around 2004. "Why would I need one?" I thought. But with The Other Half flying about 1/3 of the time, it has proven very handy. I use it much more than I ever thought I would, though I don't much like to talk on the phone. It's great for little things, like finding out if you need to stop at the store, or countless other things you may have forgotten to ask when going out the door.

But you know all that. You've had a phone much longer than me. I'm a little slow. And when it comes to texting, I was even slower. I could not fathom the popularity of texting, a seemingly very backward way to communicate when you're holding a phone in your hand.

Well, I've seen the light there too. Text messages are short and sweet. Perfect for when you don't think the person you want to contact might be able to answer the phone. Great to send just a nugget of information. I've used the texting feature on my new phone more than I've used the actual phone! And I've got to say, a text message can be sweet, even touching, in a way that a voice mail just doesn't capture. And that's coming from black-hearted, slow ol' me.

But I'm glad I got one of the phones with a full keyboard. I may be slow, but even I realize that typing on a keyboard is far superior to using a number pad. Do yourself a favor. If you like to text, or think you might, get a phone with all the keys. I have the Samsung "Rant," and so far it's great. Now, what other things am I missing?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...